News and Events
Welcome to the Open Secret News and Events blog.
THURSDAY 20TH APRIL 2017
6PM - 9PM
Challenge yourself by walking barefoot over hot coals while raising money for Open Secret and survivors of childhood abuse. Be cheered on by family and friends as you face the flames. Spectators welcome and refreshments will be avaliable on the night to help raise funds.
Open Secret is pleased to invite you to you to join us as we begin the next step of our journey with the launch of our new brand, Wellbeing Scotland, which takes place on Monday 27th February at 1pm, in the Leapark Hotel, Grangemouth.
A free buffet lunch will be provided for all attendees. All guests are welcome including clients, survivors, professionals, press and partnership agencies.
A fun day out and a chance to update your wardrobe and help the environment by
Here's how it works:
- Arrive for 1pm with up to 5 new or gently used items: Clothes, bags, hats,
shoes, scarves and jewellery which you would like to swap.
- Have homemade soup and a roll in the hall. At 2pm move over to where the
items are laid out and choose up to 5 items.
- Try on and swap them as many times as you want until you are happy with your selection. Finally sit with your friends comparing the new additions to your wardrobe.
£10 per ticket, includes lunch. All proceeds go to Open Secret.
Please be aware that Open Secret will be closed for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year holidays. The office will be closed from 5pm Thursday 22nd December and will reopen 9am Monday 9th January.
We appreciate the holiday period can be a difficult time for many of us - please see below some helpline numbers which might be useful to you during the period of our office closure.
- Samaritans: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)
- Breathing Space: 0800 83 85 87
- Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am
- Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am
- NHS 24: 111 (free 24-hour helpline)
Since the publicity surrounding Operation Yewtree, the Rotherham Alexis Jay Inquiry and the current National Child Abuse Inquiries in England and Scotland there has been a focus on services for abuse survivors. With further risks presenting and changing at a fast pace and the ongoing needs of adult survivors we need to ensure the delivery of appropriate responsive services in Scotland.
This conference will look at how far we have come and what should be in place for survivors moving forward. This conference will be of interest to any professionals who provide services to survivors of abuse in any capacity, survivors of abuse who would like to share their views on the needs of survivors and how services can best support survivors and other professionals who can impact on policy.
- KEYNOTE SPEECH: JOHANN LAMONT, MSP and Member of Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group for Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- SARAH NELSON, Researcher & Author
- ANNE MACDONALD, Previous Lead Officer for Survivor Scotland
- SHARON GUEST, Barnardo’s Scotland
- SURVIVOR INPUT
The day will also include smaller group discussions on the following topics:
- The landscape of support services for survivors
- Justice and gaps in support
- Medical vs social model of support
- What survivors tell us they need
- Prevention approaches in prisons
- Prevention work with young people
- Community development and empowerment
- How do we ensure future services meet survivors needs
Book on Eventbrite: bit.ly/intothefutureconf
- Statutory organisations: £50
- Voluntary organisations: £40
- Survivors: FREE