Since the publicity surrounding Operation Yewtree, the Rotherham Alexis Jay Inquiry and the current National Child Abuse Inquiries in England and Scotland there has been a focus on services for abuse survivors. With further risks presenting and changing at a fast pace and the ongoing needs of adult survivors we need to ensure the delivery of appropriate responsive services in Scotland.
This conference will look at how far we have come and what should be in place for survivors moving forward. This conference will be of interest to any professionals who provide services to survivors of abuse in any capacity, survivors of abuse who would like to share their views on the needs of survivors and how services can best support survivors and other professionals who can impact on policy.
- KEYNOTE SPEECH: JOHANN LAMONT, MSP and Member of Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group for Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- SARAH NELSON, Researcher & Author
- ANNE MACDONALD, Previous Lead Officer for Survivor Scotland
- SHARON GUEST, Barnardo’s Scotland
- SURVIVOR INPUT
The day will also include smaller group discussions on the following topics:
- The landscape of support services for survivors
- Justice and gaps in support
- Medical vs social model of support
- What survivors tell us they need
- Prevention approaches in prisons
- Prevention work with young people
- Community development and empowerment
- How do we ensure future services meet survivors needs
Book on Eventbrite: bit.ly/intothefutureconf
- Statutory organisations: £50
- Voluntary organisations: £40
- Survivors: FREE
Ben Shee Loop Hill Walk in aid of Open Secret
Sunday 31st July
Challenge yourself this summer by trekking through Scottish landscape and raise vital funds for a local charity at the same time!
In the safe hands of the Stirling Rambling Club, participants will embark on their hill climb starting from Glensherup, travelling through the gorgeous landscape around Ben Shee and ending in Lower Glendevon. Those who want an additional challenge will also get the chance to climb the Ben Shee summit along the way! This is a beautiful walk on good tracks with a slow, gradual climb.
Participants will take on a 6-mile route taking approximately 4 hours to complete. Registration is free for all participants, and we ask that trekkers aim to raise £100 for Open Secret, which will provide four hours of free counselling to a survivor of childhood trauma.
Go on - get sponsored and give it a go!
Please register for the event using our online form, or by contacting our main office on 01324 630 100.
Date: Sunday 31st July 2016
Time: Registration from 9:45am, with the group leaving at 10:30am sharp.
The meeting point for participants will be at Glensherup Car Park at 10am. Full directions including a map will be sent out closer to the event date.
Open Secret has entered this year's Aviva Community Fund, and we need your votes to win!
Our entry into the Fund is for our West Lothian service. We've entered for funding fo £5,000, which will help us to train 10 volunteers in West Lothian to provide support for survivors.
Read more ...